Hot Deal

Bank Account Wiped Out by 65,000

964°
Deal Cadet
SuperSubrata

Today one of my friend told that his bank account was wiped by a total of ₹65k in multiple transactions 2days back. I was shocked how can this possible!!! 

He didn't even pay that money to anyone.

But he said that he paid money on a QR code on that day.

After some time he noticed that his entire bank balance containing his hard earned money is totally wiped out. After some time a person called and told him that the money is debited by us as a glitch and also told that "We don't issue refunds below ₹1,00,000, so you pay us the extra 35,000 then we will be able to refund the money back to your bank".

But my friend haven't paid any more money.

He said that he had complained to the local police and cyber crime.

What to do in this case to get the money back?

The scammers are not humane in nature... How can they steal someone's hard earned money that he had earned by working with 8-10 hrs a day.

Please Tell What to do??

Disclaimer
We are not SEBI/IRDA registered. The information provided herein is for education purposes only. We will not be responsible for any of your profit/loss with this channel's suggestions. Consult your financial advisor before making any decisions.
Top Comments
Generous Generous
Link Copied

your friend is hidding crucial details , regular victim syndrome ... this looks like regular day to day QR code scam . 

Blaze Blaze
Link Copied

What was Modus operandi in this scam?

Commentator Commentator
Link Copied

His friend is lying.

Critic Critic
Link Copied
@DEEPANGEORGE UPI frauds mostly happen on personal upi IDs on which cc/rupay cc linked upi don't work anyway. As for frauds on merchant upi even upi has chargeback mechanism nowadays which might work similar to CCs not to emntion if similar thing happened on upi then same consumer court would have given the same decision of reversing the amt as reported fraud within 3 days. 

@abhishek012 if somebody share their upi pin to scammers who then use it on some merchant site/acc to spend 3-4 lakhs & then person report it as fraud within 3 days then is there any chance of upi chargeback mechanism working. 
Finance Ninja Finance Ninja
Link Copied
@guest_999

Yes. RuPay and UPI now also use EMVco. for all transactions.

If you dnt know EMVco 3DS gateway is a global technical body that facilitates worldwide interoperability and acceptance of secure payment transactions.

Visa/Mastercard/Amex/JCB/Unionpay/Diners Club/Discover/RuPay/UPI etc all use EMVco 3DS gateway and chargeback process.

That's why now there is no difference between Visa/Mastercard chargeback process vs RuPay/UPI chargeback process (or JCB/Discover/Diners club if International transaction).

UPI QR also certified by EMVco.

NPCI had already clearly told this in RuPay Credit Card circular, the same chargeback process will be applicable on Credit Cards on UPI transaction as on RuPay credit card transactions.

99 Comments  |  
36 Dimers
  • Sort By
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

My friend said that in the bank statement he can see that person's (scammer's) name and his UPI ID.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

Call 1930 the faster you report the greater the chances of freezing scammer account and recovery. That is why use secondary account for UPI spends with <5k. Also keep account/card limits low/min as per your needs or disable if not active. It might cause some inconvenience to switch on when needed but much better than losing money. Also check primary account as often you check Instagram or WhatsApp.

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied

now only cyber crime can help i guess

hmmm for future use credit card for offline transactions 

hard to dupe swipe pos scanner these days, and credit card gives a layer of protection in case of fraud

so get credit card and credit card have 3 days, if its scam happened without your awareness then more possibility to refund (avoid QR stuffs, even if you need QR use rupay credit card that way you have some 3 days time to recover before settlement) 

Critic Critic
Link Copied
No protection on credit cards either for domestic txns done via otp because sharing/leaking otp means bank has no responsibility. Same thing for rupay cc upi where you need to enter upi pin.
View 16 more replies
Blaze Blaze
Link Copied

What was Modus operandi in this scam?

Commentator Commentator
Link Copied

His friend is lying.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

Something's not right here. Unless the QR code redirected to some malicious website/app that somehow read your friend's phone OTPs...

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

Exactly

View 5 more replies
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

same happened with my friend. she lost 40k. got scammed on olx. same shi.. scanned QR and boom. 

Deal Hunter Deal Hunter
Link Copied
oh my! Last year I was selling air purifier on Olx and without even visiting the person was insisting on making the payment beforehand, he did not come even after multiple follow up and asking me if I would accept payment before even coming...Damn!!! 

This is very common these day! 

Need to make people aware!
View 2 more replies
Beacon Beacon
Link Copied

Scam by scanning qrcode? How?

Critic Critic
Link Copied
Naive ppl scanning QR code & enter their upi pin thinking that will accept the money shown on payment page.
View 5 more replies
Helpful Helpful
Link Copied

can someone explain how this olx scan qr code scam works..

One of my friend also got a qr scan request to send 1 rupee from olx, good thing was he asked me first and i clearly told him to block the person asap and don't send anything. I know this is a scam but i am still not sure how this works ?

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
That QR code will download malware its called Quishing similar to Phishing instead of link they use QR. His friend downloaded malware and gave control of his phone.
View 23 more replies
Generous Generous
Link Copied

your friend is hidding crucial details , regular victim syndrome ... this looks like regular day to day QR code scam . 

Deal Hunter Deal Hunter
Link Copied
I do not think so, the same has been happening for a while, but do not know how the scammers are looting the banks.
View 5 more replies
Hotshot Hotshot
Link Copied

by scanning qr you give specific amount or amount is shown. do not do any transaction hurriedly.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

I'm confused here. If we can get scammed just by paying someone through QR code then it means UPI is pretty much useless security-wise. People use QR code scanning even to pay vegetable/fruit vendors and tea stalls. Even if there are less than 1% criminals it would mean lakhs and crores of people are susceptible to getting their account wiped. Maybe some details are missing in how the friend lost his money?

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

After scanning QR he must have clicked on some link that let the malware to take controls of his phone. At stores if they use fake QR they can easily get into trouble. So they need to execute it on sites like OLA.

View 1 more reply
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

Share that QR code here and his UPI id and name.. I will see what I can do.

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied
Ma'am, do you work in the cyber crime department?
Helpful Helpful
Link Copied

This reply is for people (whose mindset is like @Imperial_Penny):

Please do not look at any QR code. QR code has inbuilt mechanism and it reads your mind automatically when you look at any QR code.

It automatically implant a virtual chip in your mind. Your bank account and credit cards get emptied by this virtual chip.
Please do not look at your phone. Throw the phone in dust bin to save your bank account and credit cards. 

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
If you have nothing useful to say then STFU
View 3 more replies
Helpful Helpful
Link Copied

This is FAKE post. Do not believe that the bank account balance just vanish in thin air.
These guys (OPs friend in this case) are fraud guys and rumors mongers. They lose money in some red light area and try to get back that money by filing cases against the receiver.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Just search ola QR scam forget about this post
View 1 more reply
Helpful Helpful
Link Copied

2 days back my ICICI rupay cc UPI didn't allowed me to use. It keep saying 'that you tried too many wrong UPI pin numbers'. But I haven't entered single wrong PIN.

Second day it worked normally. I ignored it thinking tech issue from bank side. Now I'm suspecting it. I don't install any apps apart from playstore and avoid keeping too many apps. At that day my mobile is with me all day with sreenlock.

Should I concern? How to find who/where tried my UPI?

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

Most of upi apps are linked with your mobile, so it's not possible for anyone else mobile to use your upi id. Btw they can request the amount and if you approve, it's gone.

Offtopic: i got 1 icici UPI transaction reversed after almost 2 months. This transaction was done by me only.

View 2 more replies
Commentator Commentator
Link Copied

5000rs limit per day is a good li.it I guess a little bit of inconvenience can save the day

Trailblazer Trailblazer
Link Copied

How can I change my UPI limit

View 1 more reply
Generous Generous
Link Copied

UPI pin that Op's friend entered will be the biggest hidden secret in this world.

Arushi Murder case is nothing compared to it

Helpful Helpful
Link Copied

As expected this is part of the gang robbery:

--

Some members of the gang, who were identified as natives of Rajasthan, visited different showrooms of Bajaj Electronics in Hyderabad and selected expensive goods. Then, they reportedly took a photo of the UPI QR scanner and sent it to their accomplices in Rajasthan, the police said.

‘Accused would seek refunds from bank’

The accused who were outside the showroom allegedly transferred the money to the company via UPI. Later, after delivery of the products, the accomplices filed a fraudulent complaint requesting a chargeback from the bank, resulting in a refund of the money while the product had already been delivered, the police added.

--

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/hyderab...

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

Do you expect scammers to be humane mostly dizzy_face‍💫

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

Please ib me
that qr

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

use neft fir olx etc or directly give money only face to face using secondary account

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

Report on cybercrime website and follow instruction. but should be done immediately within hours..

replyuser
Click here to reply